A Local Black Lager



I came across this Black Lager this last weekend. We had just done a group ride and settled in for a nice lunch that included some nice beers. I had just finished a nice Chimay White, but it was a bit strong and I was ready for something a bit lighter. The Santa Ana winds had brought warm weather to the area, and our late October ride was done in strikingly blue skies with mid-80 degree weather while others in the country stoked the fires and watched their front yards get blanketed in a white winter wonderland.

I talked to the waitress for some guidance although it became quickly apparent that she didn’t really seem to know much about beer, much less the ones they had, but she gave me some advice based on the feedback she was getting from other customers. She explained that this particular beer was brewed locally and pretty hard to find with only a couple of stores in the area that carry it.

I’m a little skeptical about Black Lagers, since my experience has been so radically different each time I’ve tried a new one. I’ve tasted a few that were heavy, bold and strong, then turned around and had light, sweet, and subtle ones. These Black Lagers are also known as “Schwarzbier” which is a German dark Lager beer. The main characteristic of this style of beer is its opaque, black color combined with a full, chocolatey or coffee flavor similar to stout or porter. These beers are bottom-fermented, though originally top-fermented yeast was used when brewing them.  The alcohol content usually ranges from 4.8% - 5%. The dark color comes from the dark malts used in brewing.

My first impression of this local interpretation was light and refreshing. Yeah, it had the coffee and chocolate hints, but it wasn’t too strong or heavy. It was just what the doctor ordered and prefect for this post ride. One thing though, it says "imported" on the label.I did my own investigation and the brewery is in Yorba Linda, which is about 30 minutes away. That holds up, but I also heard Tecate bought it, so maybe it's now brewed in Mexico. Hmmm. Anyways, recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment