Colnago and Campy Record 11 Speed

This is my Colnago CX-1. I race it, group ride with it, and take in a lot of solo miles. There are a few issues with the geometry that takes a bit of time to get a "feel" for, but I think overall it's pretty good. I believe with any bike, there are always compromises that you have to make, and I think the balance this bike has is about right. I recently upgraded my entire groupo to Campagnolo Record in 11-speed. I was holding on to my older Shimano mix of Dura Ace 7700 and 7800, but it was 9 speed and getting a bit obsolete. But, the ol' Dura Ace just worked awesome, so I was having a hard time parting with it. I came across a smoking deal and pulled the trigger. The shifting mechanics are a bit different, and you have a lever for climbing the cassette and a thumb lever that sends it down. The lever underneath the brake lever actually does the opposite of the Shimano one, so a bit of retraining of the brain needed to happen.

Over time, I grew to really appreciate this new groupo. I see why people love this stuff. I'm not a total fanatic about it, but my appreciation is growing, just like my relationship with Italian design. It may not be quite as crisp and snappy as newer Shimano Dura Ace, but it still works plenty good and I believe superior in the back. Also, technology has kicked in since my old stuff was state-of-the-art and my new groupo has helped me shed a few grams overall off my bike that I can feel. As far as comfort goes, the hoods are a definite improvement. The shape and ergonomics are top notch and they seem to mold to my hands. Digging it.

No comments:

Post a Comment