Different is Sometimes Better?

Over Thanksgiving I stayed in San Francisco and specifically the Mission district area. That means there is all kinds of restaurants to try. My brother Steve turned me on to a Guatemalan restaurant just down the street from his house and we settled in for some tasty grub. Guatemala isn't exactly known for it's culinary flavors, but rather it's poverty and political unrest. But, as the saying goes, when in Rome... This also means I had to try some of the indigenous beer and ordered up this Famosa Lager. Well, I didn't exactly have a lot of options; it was this or a Budweiser.

Ok, so it isn't going to win any awards, but at least it's part of the vibe. The beer is pretty much a standard lager and blindfolded you wouldn't know this from any other Tecate or Sapporo. However, I have had one of these before in my two trips to Guatemala and not surprisingly, it was pretty much the same. This doesn't mean it was all blah, after all, I can say it put a bit more excitement than ordering up a standard offering, and maybe we've been too high-brow that we often miss these little things in life. Drinking a beer isn't always about holding up the glass to the light, concentrating on the aroma and subtle fragrances, but rather it's the act of sharing a nice evening with friends and family, and isn't that the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment